The Rise of Bamboo as a Premium Architectural Material
The Rise of Bamboo as a Premium Architectural Material
Wood is one of the most historically reliable and beautiful architectural materials on the planet…and has been since the beginning of history. Each wood species brings its own unique color, grain pattern, hardness, and character to a construction project, and it can serve as a great way to insulate a space for better acoustic performance.
The technicians at ASI Architectural have experience with dozens of shapes, contours, and styles of wood solutions to help augment the practicality and functionality of a space while enhancing it with the rich, classic look of natural wood.
One of the lesser-known but rapidly growing (literally) alternatives for architectural solutions is bamboo. While technically a grass, bamboo has many of the same properties as wood species. For thousands of years, bamboo has been heralded as a useful building material for its abundance and its various beneficial properties. However, only more recently has it become a commonly chosen alternative for large-scale, indoor commercial solutions.
Why Bamboo Is Here to Stay
Despite being prevalent in Asian construction for generations, bamboo took a step back in popularity during the 20th century in favor of materials like concrete and rebar. However, the properties that make bamboo an appealing option have become too pronounced to ignore, and it has made a resurgence in its architectural applications.
For starters, bamboo is remarkably strong. Compared to common woods such as oak and pine, bamboo can be 2-3 times as strong. What is even more compelling is that this strength does not come at a great expense in weight or cost. Bamboo is lighter than most woods and also retains great flexibility under stress, making for safer load-bearing pieces. Its biological composition also makes bamboo very resistant to fires compared to standard woods.
Due to the rapid rate of growth of bamboo plants, bamboo is extremely easy to source and is quickly renewable. This makes it an affordable option for high-volume commercial projects.
The aesthetic that bamboo creates in the design sphere is also fueling its rise in the architectural market. It has a creamy, natural color that brightens spaces in a crisp and refreshing way, creating a softer accent than some other species. At ASI Architectural, we offer solutions with both natural and caramelized (darker) bamboo.
Versatile Bamboo Options
Bamboo can be easily implemented into the host of products ASI Architectural uses to outfit world-class spaces and venues. Our offering includes:
- Beams – an elegant and inexpensive way to enhance room aesthetics. Beams can be fashioned with custom lengths and widths, and pair well with existing ceiling systems.
- Linear – Tongue & Groove style planks are available with three different edge styles, while Reveal planks can be customized with three different reveal widths. Linear ceiling solutions can also be outfitted with acoustical absorption backers of 1” or 2” thickness to create a more acoustically ideal environment.
- Cloud – Cloud ceilings enhance the intrigue and beauty of a room while also naturally scattering sound. Mounted on a 1” steel frame, these panels are simple to install, can be linked together, and come in flat, convex, and concave styles.
- Audition – audition panels and planks feature a wood veneer face and provide a sleek, streamlined appearance. For added sound control, acoustical backers may be installed to create ceiling or wall solutions that improve the environment both visually and sonically.
- Fusion – Perforated or non-perforated fusion ceiling and wall panels are available in customizable diameters, spacing, and perforation patterns. These panels are outfitted with acoustical absorption material when perforated.
- Coffer – Coffer ceilings are pre-engineered and precisely cut to create an elegant and classic ceiling arrangement. This yields a geometric, three-dimensional beam and panel appearance.
- Grille – Grille ceilings and walls are excellent visual design elements that are completely customizable and can be paired with any of five different grille styles. Perimeter trim options and acoustical backing for improved sound performance can be explored as well.
- Cube – For reducing the visual clutter of ducts, wiring, and sprinkler heads, cube ceilings offer a creative and visually pleasing alternative. These pre-assembled installations can be fashioned with wood blades from the certified wood varieties listed above.
As always, wood solutions from ASI Architectural can be crafted using FSC-certified wood, ensuring that each step in the supply chain from plant to panel is responsibly and sustainably sourced.
The FSC certification system provides accreditation services to companies, organizations, and communities interested in responsible forestry, providing solutions that help both the environment and the market.
ASI Architectural – Your Certified Wood Solution
For years, the professionals at ASI Architectural have been enhancing the design and sound performance of hundreds of spaces using customized wood solutions. Our engineering expertise helps designers, architects, and builders create rich and iconic structures that look as beautiful as they sound. Our team of experts can help you plan, place, and perfect your choice of cutting-edge products to create stellar results for your patrons. Learn how ASI Architectural can help you reach your goals today by exploring our website and products.